22 July, 2005

I can just hear them thinking, 'Hmmm...is it really a children's book - even one for older readers?' Or possibly just, 'Ewww...'

I just received the Children's Book Council of Australia's book of Notable Books for 2004 [emphasis in the following quotation is mine]:
In this compelling and confronting collection of ten short stories, Margo Lanagan solicits the reader to explore the black juice in all of us. Black juice - not so much a dark side as a non-conformist streak - can place teenagers in unexpected situations that can be difficult for them to manage. These exceptional stories are profound, moving, powerful, intense and often unsettling. Many have a complex and demanding structure which challenges the reader. Lanagan uses beautiful, lyrical language, rich with sensory evocations and descriptions to tell strange and disturbing tales. These stories will linger with the thoughtful reader.

Comparing this entry with those of the other shortlistees, I'm thinking it's pretty unlikely I'll get the Book of the Year gong this year.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tessa said...

That's what you get for taking the path less trodden. Trod. Tredded. Crap. WALKED UPON.

Nevertheless, fingers crossed.

22 July, 2005 15:26  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Margo. Trevor pointed me in this direction. Thought I'd drop in and say Hi.

And Why on earth not? ;-)

23 July, 2005 08:20  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

I now have the answer, but I cannot tell you whether Justine or I had the right hunch. Winners announced 19 August.

Hi Justine - well, 'just' meaning 'recently' rather than 'just now when I went to the letterbox'. Scott's name gets misspelled all OVER the place, I notice.

And hi, Heather! Thanks for dropping by.

And Andy - hi, Sandy and hi, Andy! Please do get hold of Black Juice - I've specially written it so that it will still be understandable and enjoyable for your daughter in, say, 12 years' time. :)

25 July, 2005 14:51  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

Oh, and Tessa, I think 'tridden' is the word you're after.

25 July, 2005 14:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home