03 September, 2007

A short rant against the CBCA Awards

Over here:
...because the judges are RETARDED and MENTALLY UNSTABLE and the judging criteria bizarrely enough is not story quality or character development, but writing style, the winners are always the least deserving.

This year, Margo Lanagan's 'Red Spikes' took older readers book of the year. Two years ago, Lanagan's Black Juice was nominated. Both books are equally revolting compilations of short stories. Every one aims to horrify, to shock, to numb with some twisted alterative sense of reality, eg. A family who have a picnic while watching their oldest daughter/sister drown in a pit of tar.
Judging by the blogger profile, though, I'm not sure this is a real rant - maybe a sugar rush to the brain.*snrch*

4 Comments:

Blogger lili said...

um...

i don't really know what to say to that.

except: i am so very glad that i didn't have a blog when i was a uni student.

03 September, 2007 16:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm. I'm not sure what to say either. In spite of that I will say two things:

1. The post mentions D.M. Cornish and also complains that it's impossible for new talent to get a look in.

2. "Singing my sister down" is one of the most beautiful, touching stories I have ever read.

jonathan

03 September, 2007 21:02  
Blogger Amy Fiske said...

Hmmm...I think someone needs an anger management seminar, at the very least.

I'm mystified by the negative comment on the quality of Australian fantasy. I'm a US librarian that reads a lot of Australian YA fictiion - specifically because I've been so impressed with the quality of Australian writers.

05 September, 2007 04:17  
Blogger Among Amid While said...

I know - none of it really makes sense. (And thanks, Jonathan, for your support for SMSD. This blogger really has the wrong end of the stick with that one.)

05 September, 2007 22:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home